oktober 13, 2012

Epub vs. PDF


 


Yesterday I spoke to someone who´s wife was a "real" author and had her books published (online and in print) by a "real" publisher. He recomended Indesign by Adobe. I am at the moment trying it out. He was NOT too keen on PDF because the finish product looked so much better with Indesign.


But here is the dilemma:

  •  PDF can be published quite simple. You create a word or openoffice document.(Remember that some feel Openoffice is far better at transferring hyperlinks and pictures then Word.) Then you make a save-as PDF.
  • The finish product (if as in "How to Write and Publish your own eBook") looks ok - I think close to a "real" book. I didn´t feel or think "what a rip-off". But I did see his wifes ebook in Indesign and it is at least 5 steps above the PDFs and he said that on that IPod or Android all spacing would be lost in PDF but not in Indesign. So ...
  • then you have to send your "product" somewhere.( Amazon or ???). I honestly don´t know where to go IF I want to have the "right" place to go. 

Which has left me at "Square- one" again. I am more educated but any wiser.

Adobe InDesign
Adobe Indesign
Adobe InDesignWindows, Mac OS XCommercial license. Exports to EPUB format. Note that versions prior to 5.5 create EPUBs that require significant editing to pass ePubCheck or ePubPreFlight. Plan on using Sigil or studying Liz Castro's EPub Straight to the Point book if you want to make EPUBs using Indesign 5.0.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar